If you thought spring cleaning was a mainland thing, you thought wrong. True, we don’t truly experience the four seasons; unlike our friends and family up north, we don’t have to wait for winter to end in order to see new plant life growing or feel sunlight on our backs. We’re fortunate enough to experience these things year-round — which gives us even more reason to partake in spring cleaning. It’s easy to let a thorough home scrub-down go by the wayside when you’re busy hanging out by the pool every weekend. So, let spring cleaning serve as your annual reminder to freshen up your space, inside and out. Get going by starting with these five often forgotten items around the house.
1. Shower Heads
They’ve been collecting mold, mildew and bacteria for the past year. The team at All Things New suggests filling a plastic bag with vinegar, covering the head and tightening the bag with a rubber band. You should be able to lightly scrub off all the gunk after letting it sit for 30 minutes.
Canned goods may last a long time, but they don’t last forever. Discard expired items and donate anything you know you won’t use in time to Hawaii Foodbank. Then, wipe down your shelves.
3. Under Large Appliances
Do you remember the last time you cleaned under your refrigerator? Didn’t think so. Move large appliances like your stove and freezer and do a thorough cleaning of the floor underneath.
Salty air is a screen frame’s worst nightmare. Plus, cleaning your screens provides better airflow — saving energy and money by using trade winds, rather than air conditioning, to keep you cool.
5. Trash Cans
Yes, even though they’ll quickly get dirty again, rubbish cans do need cleaning. Use a hose, disinfectant spray and a handled brush.
Mold loves to grow in dark, wet, humid locations — which are abundant in Hawaii. For minor mold issues, a bucket of hot water combined with basic cleaning supplies and a little elbow grease will do the trick. High-power pressure washers work wonders, too. But if you’ve gone a few springs too many without addressing your mold issue, don’t hesitate to call a pro — your home, as well as your health, will be better for it.